Graceful Fight

Navigating faithfully though life with a chronic autoimmune disorder...the journey to true healing.

Monday, July 7, 2014

How much of your life do you really share?



Wow. So much has changed in the last month since opening up. Wow. That's an understatement! 

Although I still have the nervous stomach from making a private battle so public, I don't regret it. I have smiled more in the last month that I did in the last year! 

Here are the pros I've seen.  Well, some of them! It could be a very long list. :) 
Deeper friendships
Seeing people come together for a common cause
The lesson for my children
My family has become closer 
A newfound purpose
A stronger faith

That's a lot of goodness in just one month's time!


Each of those pros could be it's very own Blog, but today I'm focused on "deeper friendships".  I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately since I've always been a social but private person. It's not always easy to let your guard down, or to be seen as less than perfect. 

Sure, some friends may run for the hills if they don't feel comfortable and that's totally ok, because I've found a much larger percentage of people have run toward me. People want to know, they want to understand and many want to help. I've received offers for anything from watching my kids, helping around the house, bringing meals to help with fundraising events, etc. Thankfully I'm doing well and I'm able to do all of the above except one that would have been impossible to do by myself. That's the fundraising events!

One day I received a call from a friend and she wanted to organize some sort of themed 5k Run. Yep, you Kara! :) It was far beyond just words and wanting to help - she became a soldier and was ready to make it happen! We agreed to research it a bit and very soon after I received another call from her. She had talked through it with other folks and thought it would be better to combine some smaller fundraising ideas and make it one big event that would be fun for all!  Guess what came out of that?? A huge Family Fun Day event in the park. Huge! Almost a mini carnival! 

Every step of the way we've communicated, I've shed some tears, we've laughted, many people have joined in, and deeper friendships have been born! These people that have jumped on board so willingly have stolen my heart. (I know you know who you are! xoxo) 

As a gal who is big on teaching my children how to have a heart for serving others, it never occurred to me one of their greatest lessons would be from people reaching out to our very own little family! At this time, I don't have the words to express the level of gratitude I feel for all of these people - that will have to come later! 

I do want to take the opportunity to say this.... Don't be afraid to open up and be real with people in your life. You might be surprised about what will come of it! Sure I still get that nervous stomach but it's nothing compared to the the heartache I felt before! Nothing a little hug from one of my kids or a cup of chamomile tea can't handle. Lol! 

Today I challenge you to be a little more open with even just one person in your life! See what happens in that relationship, see how much lighter you can feel.

I'd love to hear what comes out of it so don't forget to share your story! 

xoxo,
Linda 🌺








2 comments:

  1. Linda you are so brave and just an amazing friend to have! I know you would do the same for any of your friends who needed support! Glad we have been able to do this together and I am thankful for your friendship! Stay strong sista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh Kara, thank you for just being who you are and diving right in and making me feel so supported. You have inspired me more than you know and I look forward to spending many years paying it forward! I hope everyone in my situation experiences the feeling I've had the last few weeks. My bravery only comes from my faith in God and the friends and family I have standing by me. So, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete