Graceful Fight

Navigating faithfully though life with a chronic autoimmune disorder...the journey to true healing.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

A Story of Grace

In the past month I've had too many doctors appointments to count , blood tests weekly, scans as needed, 3 hospital stays, so many medical bills, a messy house, new symptoms and new medicines...an overworked husband and precious children all needing my care!

So, what about GRACE?  How can all of that possibly translate into a Story of Grace?  Maybe not in a perfect little picture of grace you'd like to see;  there are definitely hills and valleys, twists and turns, and yes, heartache and tears at times.


 

When my autoimmune issues flared up in a serious way this past month I was certainly disappointed, but I knew better than to question God's plan this time.  I prayed for guidance, sat back quietly and listened for even a whisper of direction. I simply heard, "rest in me".  Ok, pretty vague, right? My doctor already told me to rest!

In any case, I did just that. I put on the coziest of pajamas, made a temporary home on the couch and lined up my ipad, Bible, various books, and had some fabulous sisters in Christ on speed dial.  My husband was on board and was a great help with the kids so that gave me the peace I needed to rest in the Lord and see what was in store.

I've been actively working on several projects in Ministry and they have been moving along really well, so I admit I was concerned that there would be a big change in direction...or even a stop.  I kept praying to trust in the Lord's plan and I continued to rest and study, rest and study. Before I knew it I had somehow connected with many other people who were also suffering the devastating effects of illness. I quickly started a closed Facebook group for these folks so we could encourage each other and set our sites on the Lord, not our illness. We initiated daily Prayer Prompts that are getting people back to talking to the Lord regularly. Being very unsavvy when it comes to technology, somehow I got started on Pinterest and Twitter as a way to further the ministry from my couch. The Lord led a dear friend to bring over a book that was exactly what I needed to be reminded of all of the beauty in suffering. That helped me get through the harder days! My children come up to me all throughout the day with gentle hugs and offerings in their own special way.  I am not alone...It is obvious how God was providing all that is needed during this this time. 

Grace to me is "enough-ness", it is God giving us enough of what we need to carry out His will for us. Well, I would say I am in the midst of a Story of Grace!


I'm in awe that as I sit here, in a big physical mess that can be quite scary, I feel peaceful. The Lord has given me a clear windshield to look through and see His grace and love. He's given me the knowledge, desire and tools to build relationships and identify with others who are suffering. Our suffering actually does not belong to us, but it belongs to the Lord as well. It is an instrument for His purpose!

So, God has chosen me to receive His grace, but I know that is so that I can let others know about this gift. God has met me in my suffering and He can meet you too. Suffering is not just illness of the body - we live on earth, there is suffering, period. Over 1/2 of all marriages end in divorce, that's a huge population of suffering right there! The poor economy has left many homeless or with difficulty putting food on the table, more suffering there. Maybe you have an illness, maybe you don't...but I'm pretty sure you know what if feels like to suffer.

I challenge you today to look at God's grace in your life, no matter the circumstances. Not an easy task! What has He provided you with to live out His will for you? Are you answering His call? I'd love to hear how you've witnessed God's grace in your life!

xoxo,
Linda





No comments:

Post a Comment